AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What is the Purpose of "Powered Antenna's" for AG gps equipment?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

caseihfarmer
Posted 7/31/2018 18:55 (#6904068 - in reply to #6903964)
Subject: RE: What is the Purpose of "Powered Antenna's" for AG gps equipment?

East Central, Nebraska
actually, agleader, outback, raven, deere, cnh and whoever else puts the receiver on the roof. some of these companies do it both ways obviously. i don't really understand why it matters. goods and bads apply to both situations.

the plus of doing this is you can change out displays for newer ones and not have a need for an entire gps receiver and pay for all the unlocks again. for instance i used to use agleader integras and deere 2600s and went to agleader incommands and deere 2630s without having to buy and unlock an entire reciever like i did when i updated to new trimble displays. also doing it this way allows me to move a receiver, antenna and all the unlocks that go with that device around in a few seconds to a vehicle that may not have had all those unlocks. id rather move the antenna instead of the display myself.

the downside obviously are the reasons listed above. i can understand though why it is done this way. i like dumb monitors and smart antennas better myself then i like it the other way. i think its easier to sell an rtk antenna receiver myself then try to sell an old monitor with built in gps with those expensive unlocks in it. i believe the resell holds better that way. look at old paradymes for instance, how long have they been around and still bringing stupid amounts of money? or say an old Trimble 252 vs. a trimble 500, i believe this works because you can use the old 252 with a new display with new features.

not sure i understand your comment about digifarm part. digifarm will work with any rtk unlocked receiver on the market.

Edited by caseihfarmer 7/31/2018 19:07
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)