AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What is the Purpose of "Powered Antenna's" for AG gps equipment?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Herbie56
Posted 8/2/2018 06:28 (#6906714 - in reply to #6903505)
Subject: RE: What is the Purpose of "Powered Antenna's" for AG gps equipment?

Coles County, Illinois
At a bare minimum one has 3 distinct elements in a GNSS system. They are antenna, receiver and display. Suppliers have decided to package them in various ways. I'm not familiar with Outback so I'll use Raven as an example. Raven has a Receiver/Antenna product called Phoenix 300. It has an antenna element connected with a coax cable to a receiver. The Antenna element is mounted outside and could be replaced by several different electrically similar designs. If all you're using is WAAS then even an $8 puck style would work. The receiver is mounted inside and has a very small lcd screen in order to configure the receiver. The receiver is then connected to the display with a serial cable.

Raven also has a product called a 600. It is a "smart antenna". All that means is that the Antenna element and the receiver is included in one enclosure and is mounted outside. These smart antennas are connected to the display with a serial cable.

Raven also has a product called Envizio Pro II. It uses the same antenna element as the Phoenix 300 but the coax cable is connected to a receiver that is in the same enclosure as the display. I prefer this arrangement as there are fewer dollars exposed to the elements but I can see that the other configurations have advantages as well.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)