AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

cooking ham
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

JonND
Posted 4/11/2018 08:31 (#6702444 - in reply to #6696727)
Subject: RE: cooking ham

EC North Dakota
I have been cooking ham's for our fire department for about 20 years. We get fresh never frozen hams to start, 18 to 20 lbs. The night before we cook them we set them out so they are at room temp before cooking. We use oven bags coated with a tablespoon of flour. Put the ham in the bag and puncture the bag in 3 to 5 places to allow air to escape. Then place two hams into doubled oven baking pans (aluminum type).

We use a charcoal grill, we do 24 hams at one time. We start the grill so it is preheated to around 400 before placing hams in the grill. Use meat thermometer in the hams. I like to take them off when the internal temp reaches about 140 and let them rest for at least 15 minutes before slicing. The grill temp will drop to around 300 right after putting the hams in the grill. We control the temp i the grill to around 400 max. After a couple hours I start watching the internal temps, I know where the hot spots are on our grill.

The hams have been smoked before we get them so you are really only reheating them. Biggest mistake we ever made was heating on the grill to 160, by the time we sliced them they were very dry.

I did pass this on to a friend and he cooked a single ham this way on a green egg. Said it worked great.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)