AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Market driven cover cropping
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

lawfarms
Posted 1/25/2018 10:27 (#6530258 - in reply to #6526966)
Subject: RE: Xtend Acres Vrs Cover Crop Acres

King City, Mo
Pvafarm - 1/23/2018 21:51

I honestly don't know what you are trying to say with targeting cover crops other than you don't understand them and hate them.

Hate is such a strong word.

I just can't find them economical here after having lower yields on covered acres and higher expenses.

The Chemical, physical and biological processes in the soil are all important.

Is there some unwritten law where we aren't allowed to say a negative comment or experience with cover crops?

Adoption-wise xtend beans will be used because it's another "easy button" for the masses to hit. Until it doesn't work like all the other "easy buttons". Covers don't work that way because you have to think to use them. It's not easy but they are used when people realize they have a resource concern. And one has to have a long enough attention span to see it through when using covers.

xtends are just an example of something new in the market and getting quick acceptance by farmers, the same farmers that aren't accepting cover crops after years of them being heavily promoted and paid to try even.

Just an observance driving around and seeing more fields of cupped beans this summer because of a field of xtends across the road, then driving around this fall and seeing all the acres of ground that was tilled and searching to find a field with a cover crop..... Just observations from traveling around locally...

I'm not planting xtends, i'm just observing and comparing the two....

Cover crops sound good on paper.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)