AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bow hunting?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

somany_rocks
Posted 11/15/2017 08:40 (#6366216 - in reply to #6363107)
Subject: RE: Bow hunting?

Iowa
Welcome to the club! :)

I think most people have covered this already, but go to as local of an archery shop as you can. They usually have great service and will set up different options for you to try.

I have only ever shot Mathews and Hoyt--simply because that's what our local shop sells and I easily get my moneys worth in service by purchasing a more expensive bow--so don't discount that when you buy! I certainly won't discredit other lines, I just can't speak to them as I have never shot anything else.

Both Mathews and Hoyt have a mid-tier line $5-700. In my experience, if you purchase something a little newer with more of today's technology, you will have less ambition to turn around and trade-up in a year or two. Costly 'mistake' for me!

As both companies just released new bows, you may find some shops looking to clear a little 'old' inventory.

As far as what you need to look for for a hunting bow--something with a good let-off and smooth draw cycle cover most of the bases for me. Comparing Mathews and Hoyt, pulling the bow back feels very different between the two, so you have to pick the one that's easiest and feels best to you.

Go right to the drop-away rest instead of a whisker biscuit. It will cost a little more, but you will make that up in arrow longevity. I would get a 4-5 pin sight so you have a little more flexibility in shooting range. I had a three-pin for a while and couldn't get the bow sighted in to my satisfaction, so I had to buy another and the shop doesn't take accessories in on trade--again, slightly costly mistake on my part.

Some may have suggested pawn shops or buying off a facebook group, etc--I hesitate to support that because I don't know what's been done to the bow. Has it been dry-fired? Was it taken care of? Etc, etc, etc. I would rather pay a little more and know what I am getting. At least buying new or used from an archery shop, you have some recourse if there is a problem.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)