AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bow hunting?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Buz Brandes
Posted 11/13/2017 23:42 (#6363720 - in reply to #6363107)
Subject: RE: Bow hunting?

Southeast Ohio
First step.... Go to a good bow shop and have them set you up. It costs extra but it's worth the money. I've been a bowhunter for 32 years, trust me its worth it.

Getting the proper draw length is essential, most guys end up with bows that are too long of a draw. Having the pro shop set up the arrows and rest and "tune the bow" is essential for good arrow flight and accuracy. Be sure to use a drop away style arrowrest, there are many to choose from but the concept is the same. I like the rests made by QAD.

Use a release. Shooting fingers is for the longbow guys. Using a release will allow you to become a better shooter more quickly.

As others have said, lots of good bow makers these days. I tend to shoot Mathews bows, but love the Hoyts and others as well. Buy a used model a few years old and save a ton of cash. Bows have come a long way since the 70s-80s but in the last few years the advancements have been minor. My newest Mathews Monster is 4-5 years old. Works just fine and feels good.

Watch videos on proper form and technique so you start out on the right foot.

then practice, practice. You'll get good to 20 yds quick, then move to 30,40,50 and even 60 if you have the pins on your sight. In our area 30-35 yards is a long bow shot. So shooting at 50-60 makes that 30 yarder seem easy.

Better to shoot 12 arrows with perfect form that 100 with crap form and technique.

Good luck!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)