AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

cover crops boost yield says survey of 2,100+ farmers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

mhagny
Posted 11/3/2017 07:22 (#6342887 - in reply to #6342757)
Subject: RE: cover crops boost yield says survey of 2,100+ farmers

tim ar - 11/3/2017 05:29

Replicated plot data across multiple locations and years would be far more convincing than a survey. 
As a ag research phd friend told me once regarding the various snake oils being hawked to farmers " if all they have is testimonials and pictures of roots you can bet your a$$ they don't have any data"
That's not to say the covers don't work. I've grown wheat for grain for years and no-till beans right behind the combine which amount to the same thing as covers with good success. The wheat itself was often notill soon after the combine harvesting a summer crop. I'm dabbling now in crops grown strictly for cover. I think there is potential. I simply don't put much faith in surveys or testimonials. 

Your points are well-taken, but I would think most people responding to the survey would have some idea if the practice is +/- their cash crop yields.  People watch that like a hawk when trying a new practice.  The individual experiences might be good data or poor, but when you've got this much in aggregate, there's something to it.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)