AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Early planted soybeans (benifits/negatives)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

17821x
Posted 9/23/2017 17:35 (#6265738 - in reply to #6265495)
Subject: RE: Early planted soybeans (benifits/negatives)

NE Iowa
With only one of your planters having 15" row capability I would definitely plant all the beans with it and start when you start planting corn. I'm just a STO but ever since I bought a no-till drill I have planted both corn and beans at the same time. When I plant corn I fill up the drill and send dad out to do beans to keep him from doing cattle work or other things by himself and getting into trouble. This year I started planting corn and beans on April 25th. The neighbors all thought it was too cold to even plant corn and we were the only ones running but our stands turned out good. Planting early has very little effect on maturity / harvest date. Beans planted 2 weeks later will likely still be mature on the same day. However, beans are photosensitive so planting 2 weeks early gives them 2 more weeks to bloom / set pods before the length of daylight tells them to mature. Planting early does increase the likelihood of SDS setting in and your pre herbicides need to hold a little longer because of slower growth. But overall I think the pros outweigh the cons on planting early.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)