AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Early planted soybeans (benifits/negatives)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jkreuziger
Posted 9/23/2017 22:45 (#6266323 - in reply to #6265495)
Subject: RE: Early planted soybeans (benifits/negatives)

Juneau, WI
Late April beans give at least a month to replant/fill in, but it is stressful watching them hardly grow. Early beans don't need as high of a final stand, but will likely be lower. April beans are likely to be 5 bushel better than mid May beans. Seem to be more sensitive to pre chemical. They may get cold enough to abort nodules, but have lots of time to overcome that. As someone else mentioned they will ripen about same time as if planted later. I don't feel it's nessasary to plant excessively long maturities because of this. I try to pick varieties that stand well. Next year I am looking at trying some test strips with nitrogen to help establish while nodulation is struggling with the cold. Pushing early beans also helps to be more patient with planting corn. Also helps overcome my dad's ever shortening patience issues, but that seems to be a lost cause. Later in the season my dad asked why we didn't plant more beans in April. We were the only ones in the county planting anything... So far fall strips seem to be the best way to get April beans in. First picture is this year April 24th. I remember wearing a jacket. One picture is strip in Nov. One picture is of beans stripped of leaves ten days ago.

Edited by jkreuziger 9/23/2017 23:17

(IMG_2582.JPG)

(IMG_1301.JPG)

(IMG_1649.JPG)

(IMG_3069.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_2582.JPG (189KB - 28 downloads)
Attachments IMG_1301.JPG (241KB - 30 downloads)
Attachments IMG_1649.JPG (125KB - 25 downloads)
Attachments IMG_3069.JPG (299KB - 26 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)