AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

4450 alternator / volt meter
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

hf213
Posted 7/23/2017 13:21 (#6144132 - in reply to #6143516)
Subject: RE: 4450 alternator / volt meter

All above are good replies and advice to follow.

My experience....these tractors are getting old enough where wiring issues are really starting to show, especially the underhood harness for the alternator that has the diode in it. I have found many times now, which includes the 30 and 40 series as well, that the large output wire ( 10 ga ? ) is getting corroded on the inside. Side note, when you cut them apart, they may not always be green / corroded, but enough so to cause the drop in voltage.
Another fault I find is that this larger wire will be in worse condition from the alternator lug to 24" back towards the harness bundle. Wiggle / tug / Pull / twist on this area and see if your voltage changes ......

I have already cut back 2" or so and crimped on a new lug and bring them back to spec too, but most cases I like new wire.

KMech is spot on with his test procedure to determine this...

Also agree about the diode wire, same way with all the engine heat and fan blast, these fatigue and will show similar results.

FWIW, I am a big believer in battery cable replacement on these vintage, ESPECIALLY if the originals !
I also am big believer in separate grounds to the alternator, as well as good clean grounds from battery to frame, even MORE SO when still using the twin 6 volt batteries.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)