AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hex wrenches, Stuck set screw,metal hub with plastic fan removal problems.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

School Of Hard Knock
Posted 11/16/2008 13:33 (#508263)
Subject: Hex wrenches, Stuck set screw,metal hub with plastic fan removal problems.

just a tish NE of central ND
I have a 3 hp Keho brand Air bin fan for my small bins that the bearings need attention. Only way to get the bearings in is to remove the blower wheel. Sounds simple right? NOT.The blower wheel is plastic or fiberglass embossed to a steel hub. I got one setscrew loose. the other is frozen SOLID. I have broken at least 5 allen wrenches off(some more than once) trying to break the one screw loose.I have soaked in "wonder juice" overnight.I spot welded a peice of allen wrench several times to a short shaft and added to the air chisel to add impact to the the screw(insert the allen wrench into the screw and hammer on it with the air chisel)to break it loose with no success.The setscrews are fairly deep into the hub. You cant get to the hub to hanmmer on it.I would just heat the hub up, but the problem is that the hub is mostly covered with plastic and the squirrel cage fan would melt.There is no real way to put a puller on this thing either as the blower housing is still between the wheel and motor and there is no room to block it tight to press the shaft out..........ANYONE HAVE any more Ideas for removal without destructing the whole thing??? anyone.????????????????????????????? I Swear stuff is made just to frustrate the user somtimes. The replacement bearings probably arent even 10 bucks.The fan is wortless with out the blower wheel and a new fan is quite expensive so am Im trying to make the best of this one..

Edited by School Of Hard Knock 11/16/2008 13:36
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)