AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Its not all no till-so stock talk post instead of crop talk
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

blacksand
Posted 5/30/2017 07:14 (#6044919 - in reply to #6044549)
Subject: RE: Its not all no till-so stock talk post instead of crop talk

South Dakota
I've got some ground we bought a few years ago where there was a 4 + ft berm in the fence row. I found a fence post sticking out, the entire fence is still there, it's all under wind blown soil. In my area people have cut down on fall tillage a lot, I think most farmers don't do it in my zip code. When I go through Minnesota in the winter, it's crazy to me how black the snow in the ditches are, everyone fall tills there. I'm not going to pretend to know what's best for a Minnesota farmer, but tillage is easily overdone. Furthermore, when the originally did the soil surveys, the took soil samples all across the country, in fact my grandpa did some of that as a soils professor at SDSU. They've since gone back and remeasured those sites and the soil loss is astonishing. In certain parts of the country: iowa, Illinois, and southern mn, the soil is so deep and black that you don't notice how much you're losing, but it's easy to see OM loss on eroded hill sides in the rest of the country, you quickly lose that black color.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)