AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

alleopathy from rye
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

rebuilder
Posted 11/10/2015 20:13 (#4889015 - in reply to #4888738)
Subject: RE: alleopathy from rye

Bourbon,Indiana

Rainman_210 - 11/10/2015 18:53 yes I typically put down 100lbs urea 100lbs ams with spring pass which has been working great...I will prob run row cleaners rather aggressive to try get a real clean strip as far as residue is concerned...i feel making strips now might negate some positive things the rye might do next spring as far as getting root mass in the seed zone?...idk .....would like to see some weed supression from the rye as well...will know more after next spring I guess

I would not worry so much about that in my opinion. And yes......you are thinking correctly. Killing the covers early does throw away a lot of potential. I figure I have paid for the cover seed and application ( mine is aerial applied), I darn well want to make sure I wring the maximum potential out of covers. By letting them grow, then planting green, I am creating (or rather allowing the creation) of an exponential amount of 1) biomass 2) nutrient scavenging 3) root growth and all the benefits thereof 4) yes, weed suppression will be much better.... etc.....

And  for me....I have found terminating the covers after planting is easier. But I also plant a lot of ARG which can be a pain to terminate, especially when it is cold.

(DSCN8730 - Copy.JPG)

(DSCN8735 - Copy.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSCN8730 - Copy.JPG (165KB - 79 downloads)
Attachments DSCN8735 - Copy.jpg (188KB - 79 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)