AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

alleopathy from rye
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

bbeck
Posted 11/11/2015 11:13 (#4890170 - in reply to #4889132)
Subject: RE: alleopathy from rye

I have found this on my own farm and in my area. that you need nitrogen at the surface to help break down the rye after it has been killed. The microbes in the soil have a carbon/nitrogen ratio of 8:1 and the green rye has a C:N ratio of approximately 26:1. It will take nitrogen on the surface for microbes to break down that rye. The nitrogen the rye and microbes use will be released later in the season for use by the corn. If you bury it (6-8) deep it will not be available to break down the rye and your microbes will be competing with the corn for nitrogen. The microbes will always win. We plant corn into rye and spray it that day of or the day after. We put down 75 lbs. N 32% with 100 lbs of AMS dry. Aprox. 100 lbs. N up front should cover the C:N penalty on a good stand of rye the earlier you kill it the less nitrogen you need up front.

I have seen so many people turn away from rye because they put anhydrous deep in the soil never account for the nitrogen penalty correctly on the surface. There corn is shorted up front and the yields decrease significantly.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)