AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Small farrow to finish
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Hereford Guy
Posted 10/9/2014 21:15 (#4117780 - in reply to #4117726)
Subject: RE: Small farrow to finish

No I've never had trouble at 100 pounds with the stupid coyotes. I think you'd be ok at that weight. They make a coyote cannon, makes a loud blast that a lot of the guys that farrowed on pasture when I was in school at Chicken Hawk in Kewanee used to scare the buggers off. You just have to change the timing on it occasionally.

I forgot about Goodfield. There used to be a small packer in Peoria too but darned if I can remember the name of them now. Not even sure if Peoria stockyard is still limping along? Farmland in Beardstown is where we used to send them, assume they still are going strong.

This (in my opinion) is a good time to learn about cows and wait. Cows are hot stuff right now money wise. Close market for you though, assuming Reel's is still going? Nord's had pretty good Char cows and I assume still do. They went to church with my grandparents for years.

Going back to the Redroc's again? Or going with crossbred? I'm not picking, kinda partial to red myself! My Granpda on my Mom's side was a Herfie cow and Redroc hog guy so I guess I got it honestly. Still can't beat the Duroc's for least days on feed to market weight, that equals dollars.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)