AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Small farrow to finish
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Hereford Guy
Posted 10/9/2014 20:33 (#4117661 - in reply to #4116991)
Subject: RE: Small farrow to finish

Interesting post, always enjoy your posts tho. As I remember you are right there west of Bloomington/Normal area. I can't speak to PED's nastiness since the piggies have been gone for quite awhile, having raised hogs in a similar system not far from the same geographical area though I may have a little insight.

Marketing- Are you looking to sell breeding stock, freezer pigs, pool with other small producers and send a semi load to a packer?

Sow longevity in that type of system I usually averaged six litters before culling and that was two farrowings sow average per year, a spring group, an early fall group (September) a late fall group (Thanksgiving) and maybe a Christmas group. Boars two-three years of service was about normal. You can breed first cycle if you want but that's if you are really looking for max turnover.

Heat source for farrowing in the colder months? The little piggies need a warm area in the cold months.

You mentioned finishing outside, any problems with coyotes around there? I would be a little concerned since McLean Co. doesn't have much livestock anymore in comparison to years past.

Cows would be less labor intensive than farrow to finish but since you said you aren't familiar with them, go with the way you feel comfortable. Might be something for the future though, find a local cattle guy and help him out now and again and gain a little knowledge. Easier said than done though I know, Mclean Co. used to have a fair number of cows around, especially your end of the county. I can think of half a dozen places that had cows along Rt. 9 going west past Farm and Fleet in the late 70's and early 80's and there isn't a cow in sight there now. I believe the Nord family and a few others still have cow herds though. Just some food for thought.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)