AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Has anybody ever up and moved their operation too a different state?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Big Ben
Posted 6/2/2014 23:13 (#3899268 - in reply to #3899093)
Subject: RE: Has anybody ever up and moved their operation too a different state?

Columbia Basin, Ephrata, WA
My dad and grandpa did back in 1987 when I was 5 to escape urban sprawl. This area was hit especially hard in the early 80's because the sugarbeet plant closed in 1979 and there was a government program that collapsed the hay market a year or two later. There were operations that were flying high that lost it all or nearly did in just a few years. Looking back it was an incredible buying opportunity, almost everything was for sale if you asked around.

I know of one family that farmed near here, moved away, then after a while came back. Im pretty sure they expanded with each move. There are apparently opportunities if its done just right.

I've observed a few folks move into this area. Beware of the steep learning curve involved with farming in a new location.

If the opportunity presented itself to sell for a solid price here and buy into some temporarily depressed area, I'd be tempted. It can be a good way to expand, but it would certainly be expensive to move, and my wife wouldn't like it. The numbers would have to be pretty convincing. We don't have any orchardists or developers beating down our door with suitcases of cash, so we'll probably stay here.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)