AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Has anybody ever up and moved their operation too a different state?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Haleiwa
Posted 6/2/2014 22:24 (#3899186 - in reply to #3899093)
Subject: RE: Has anybody ever up and moved their operation too a different state?

West Chazy, New York

I left a dead end situation about 15 years ago and it was the best thing I ever did.  Hawaii's ag economy was in a state of turmoil with the collapse of sugar and the drastic downsizing of pineapple.  There were lots of opportunities for land that was no longer in use, and I made a good living, mostly by providing field preparation services and installing irrigation systems.  Now most of that land is back in production and the opportunities aren't as good as they were, but in the meantime I have gotten involved in a few other projects, plus the house we built is worth more than we have in it.

Biggest drawback; no one knows you and you don't know anyone, so you have to make new relationships and figure things out.

Biggest plus: no one knows you and you don't know anyone, so you have to make new relationships and figure things out.

I did it before I turned 40.  I don't know if I would want to do it today.  I don't think I would even consider moving machinery over a long distance.  There is no such thing as the only good tractor, and you can spend more in moving things than it would cost to sell what you have and buy in the new location.

Best part of the whole deal is I met my wife.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)