AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Waterer prep, hay shed grading/seeding & PID hay feeding idea (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 8/18/2013 16:59 (#3274475 - in reply to #3274423)
Subject: Re: Waterer prep, hay shed grading/seeding & PID hay feeding idea (pics)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I like concrete around a waterer with about a 4" step up 12" larger than the waterer as it keeps manure out of the waterer - cows don't back up to it and take a dump. The large concrete pad also avoids a mud hole around the waterer and is easier to scrape manure off than rock etc. 

The concrete also bridges the 6 ft deep waterline trench and with enough rebar will stay in one piece even as the trench area settles over the years. The main pad will slope slightly downhill toward the corn in the distance to drain with the waterer drain on that side. The waterer and small raised area around it will be level.

The whole pad should be a bit higher/step up from the surrounding soil to keep heavy rains from washing mud etc across it.  If the edge starts getting too high I will dump some screenings around the edges the cattle use for access.

Thank you. I am pleased with how the shed and feeding area are turning out. Now need to get the fencing around it up.

Jim

Edited by Jim 8/18/2013 17:03
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)