AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Waterer prep, hay shed grading/seeding & PID hay feeding idea (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 8/18/2013 12:38 (#3274111)
Subject: Waterer prep, hay shed grading/seeding & PID hay feeding idea (pics)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I met with the concrete contractor this morning about the waterer pad. Good contractors are so busy these days the only time they have to check new jobs is on Sunday morning. He did a good job on the feeding pad so I'd like to have him do the waterer pad.

The grading and gravel is finished at the shed so I worked and seeded it. The seed is going to sit there until we get some rain but at least it is in the ground and not in the bag!.

Matt/Play in the Dirt had an idea of using feed rings between posts in the shed as he does.  As I look at it that seemed to allow cows a lot better access to hay than trying to feed large round bales through a flat feed panel.

Borrowing his idea I pinned a couple of my flat panels into vees and like that a whole lot better.  I will just set a round bale in end into each vee and keep pushing it forward from inside the shed.  Spacing them apart one section should provide room for cows to get into adjacent vees.  This is still under the roof overhang.  If weather gets too bad I can always pin the Applegate sections back flat and bring the hay more inside.  Thanks for the idea, Matt.

Here are some pictures.  The grazing corn is looking much better than last year. The ears appear to be about 16x36-38 and at 33-34k/a.

Next need to get a lot of fencing done in the next couple weeks. The Bohlman waterer recommended by Garvo looks very good. I am going to pound a couple RR ties in before the concrete guy pours the pad to have a divider panel right over the top of the waterer so it can serve two separate groups over the winter, cows on shed hay and steers/heifer calves on grazing corn with shed hay access. Both groups will have access to separate wooded areas for winter shelter.

Jim

Edited by Jim 8/18/2013 12:45

(IMG_0881_Hay shed grading seeding and waterer prep 081813.JPG)

(IMG_0880_Hay shed grading seeding and waterer prep 081813.JPG)

(IMG_0883_Hay shed grading seeding and waterer prep Bohlman 310 waterer 081813.jpg)

(IMG_0885_Hay shed grading seeding and waterer prep Bohlman 310 waterer 081813.JPG)

(IMG_0886_Hay shed feed panels set in Vee for round bales 081813.JPG)

(IMG_0889_Hay shed feed panels set in Vee for round bales 081813.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0881_Hay shed grading seeding and waterer prep 081813.JPG (74KB - 67 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0880_Hay shed grading seeding and waterer prep 081813.JPG (75KB - 68 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0883_Hay shed grading seeding and waterer prep Bohlman 310 waterer 081813.jpg (75KB - 74 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0885_Hay shed grading seeding and waterer prep Bohlman 310 waterer 081813.JPG (78KB - 61 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0886_Hay shed feed panels set in Vee for round bales 081813.JPG (61KB - 62 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0889_Hay shed feed panels set in Vee for round bales 081813.JPG (68KB - 58 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)