AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

"It's time to rethink America's corn system"
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Chimel
Posted 3/13/2013 16:57 (#2962796 - in reply to #2962411)
Subject: Re: "It's time to rethink America's corn system"

novaman - 3/13/2013 10:10
Last time I checked the price was set based on the balance of supply and demand. How exactly does the market set the price?

I'm saying the same thing in different words, I was answering the comment about how it's the consumer that fixes prices. It's not. It's that balance or market that fixes the prices.

Further, you suggest ending free trade. Do you have any idea how critical trade is to this country?

You mean to Walmart and to destroy all production jobs by offshoring them? ;)
Free trade between a competitive country and a wasteful one is justified, but if the competitive country has a similar productivity and is cheaper only because of cheaper labor, there should probably be a tariff on their goods, it should be free and fair trade. No doubt this is a very simplified view and other factors are at play, it's just my gut feeling. Talking about fairness, many third world countries who can grow wheat have been importing it.

Yes we are all making a killing off crop insurance. You do realize that many times crop insurance won't even cover the inputs we have in the crop. As far as making a fortune on a good year, this seems to be the view of most city folk. We farmers get so rich when we have a good year that we have no idea where to spend the money first.

You misread me, crop insurance only allows farmers to survive the year, and I mentioned that "fortune" only for large farms, i.e. thousands of acres in size, who on a good year make maybe half a million dollars in profits per 1,000 acres at $8 a bushel. OK, only a "small" fortune by today's standards....
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)