AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

"It's time to rethink America's corn system"
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

farmer12345
Posted 3/12/2013 14:54 (#2960266 - in reply to #2960143)
Subject: Re: "It's time to rethink America's corn system"

I don't think anyone can argue that it would be more efficient for and better for the ground to go with a 3-4 crop rotation. But the economics don't work for it. There are farming practices that can allow for certain cover crops that help with fertilizer and weed control and rotations that help with organic compound. But its manpower heavy and many times not as economical as planting corn, corn, corn, or even corn beans corn beans and maybe throw in a wheat every 5 or so years.

I can't argue that the feeding system in the United States is inefficient, however I'd argue that is not because of farmers planting corn, its because of consumers, its amazing what a human throws away, (hint: clean out your fridge and feezer right now). Its also amazing how little the average consumer produces anymore. During WWII roughly 50% of vegetables were produced in personal or community gardens. Many fruits were as well, today? less then 10%. Everyone use to can everything, now hardly anyone does.

I do think the issue needs to be discussed though, is there more productive ways to farm? more productive crops? But until someone can make money year in and year out producing said crop I don't see a big change occuring.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)