AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Building a cow herd in the middle of IA corn country
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

17821x
Posted 2/3/2013 19:35 (#2872585 - in reply to #2872376)
Subject: RE: Building a cow herd in the middle of IA corn country

NE Iowa
The economics of cow-calf in the heart of Iowa are pretty tough. Finding more pasture to rent would be your best option. You have enough pasture for only about 8 pairs. I'm guessing you also have some waterways or other ground that can't be planted that can be baled for some cheap additional feed. On the hay you grow make sure you plant alfalfa and make the highest quality hay you can. The better the hay the more cornstalks you can blend with it. I make sure to plant some fields that are close to pastures to winter rye immediately after combining in the fall. You can graze the rye in the spring until May 15th or so and keep th cows out of the pasture until then. If pasture is limited it is important to not winter the cows in the pasture and if you have cement or sheds don't even calve there. My cows are only in the pasture if there is enough grass to provide all their feed needs (May 1st to Oct 1st usually). If they run the pasture all winter ond early spring it takes about twice as much pasture. I've got concrete and building for the muddy spring calving time.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)