AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Florida Road Trip for rookies
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

mca
Posted 1/27/2013 22:39 (#2855001)
Subject: Florida Road Trip for rookies

Southern Ontario
Hey Folks

I have not been to someplace warm in the winter since I was a kid back in 1987--wow that is over 25 years ago.

My wife and I plan on taking our 3 kids (5-13 years) to Florida early this March on a "Clark Griswold" type family mini van trip.

But we really do not know how to go about it "right".

Our family all really enjoy going on road trips together, but this will be a big one (4000 mile round trip) and we don't want to mess it up.

Our farm is in chilly Ontario, so we would all really enjoy to get 2 weeks away from the cold.

Maps show we will take Interstate 81 & I-95 for most of this trip.

My wife and I are both farm kids--from real working farms--and we both know the meaning of a dollar ......so we are always looking for good value.

We also know experience is a good teacher...however we have zero experience with today's Florida.

Maybe someone here could offer their experience on what is worth while seeing along the way to Florida and while in Central Florida in general?

We would like to maximize the value of the trip for the kids, both from a fun, educational and experiential perspective and limit the "should/(should not) of did that" stuff. ----It may be 25 more years before we get back.

We would like to take the kids to stay in the park in Disney...but we do not even know how many days or what facility to book.

The boys favor LegoLand and my daughter has interest in Seaworld. Also we are all Detroit Tiger fans so one spring training day could be on the list.

Besides these touristy attractions, the whole family is intrigued by beaches--looking for sea life, shells, birds along the shore are wonderful. In fact we could spend days just doing this.

They also enjoying seeing nature, migrating birds, different landscapes, different plants/animals than we have here in Canada.

And of course, being farmers, agricultural highlights are always of interest.

We may even be open to camping, especially if it is near an interesting, natural beach (away from teen spring breakers if that is possible).

Also. along the way, is Colonial Williamsburg Virginia something the kids would enjoy?

Next my daughter is 13 and has been amazed by the current movie "Lincoln", is there a good way to highlight civil war history along our route?

We would also like to hear about interesting churchs we may visit on Sundays---you know unique things like drive-in, outdoor or mega churches the kids would really remember.

Even tips for getting value at hotels/food along the way would be appreciated.

Anyway we would like to do the best for the kids on the trip this March and still contribute fully to their college funds in December.

Tell us what we should consider, we will value each of your comments,

We thank you in advance for your kind opinons.

With a bead on Walley World.....MCA
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)