AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anything historical ever happen on your farm?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

boog
Posted 12/18/2012 19:51 (#2760491 - in reply to #2758624)
Subject: Re: Anything historical ever happen on your farm?

Knight hunted our farm , once. Never even asked permission, just stopped & hunted the drainage ditch that passes thru. He was a great coach but I lost a lot of respect for him as a person & his actions after he was fired. FWIW, I go back to when Branch McCracken was coach & a family member played for him.

Earl Butz visited my uncle at our home a couple times while he was Dean of Ag at Purdue. I was in Jr High at the time. A good friend later sat beside Butz on a plane trip while Butz was Sec of Ag. When he found out where my friend lived he asked how my uncle was.

In 1811 Gen William H Harrison led his army of 8-900 soldiers thru our twp on his way to the "Battle of Tippecanoe and returned following the same route. Supposedly he crossed a creek on what is now our farm. The crossing is still visible, though not as distinctive as a before the county did some drainage work about 10 years ago. There's a trail marker marker about 2 miles north at a neighbor's home where the tail is still visible. The 1838 "Trail of Death", not to be confused with the "Trail of Tears" of the same time, also followed this route, which was an old Indian trail. The "Trail of Death" was the relocation of several hundred Indians from Indiana to Kansas.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)