AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

No Farm Bill
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Illinois John
Posted 10/27/2012 10:43 (#2663518 - in reply to #2663368)
Subject: Re: No Farm Bill

Crawford County, Robinson, Illinois

marlinpain - 10/27/2012 08:12 I can't understand the whole food stamp farm bill deal. I know they are entertwined but why/ It looks like a magic trick to me - whatch my hand, presto. I reckon this should be in the boileroom lol

As we all know, the farm programs go back many years.  There is a reason food stamps are included in the bill, but it really doesn't make sense, it is a vestige of history.
Originally, food was directly given to people to support farm prices.  I recall in grade school years ago, commodities were directly given to our small school, for example.  It provided a low cost school lunch, and also supported fruit and dairy farmers by getting rid of some of the surplus.  The government would buy product, and give it to different food banks, orginizations for the poor, and schools.  Over the years, this direct distribution became clumsy, and some smart(??) politician decided to just give money for food bought at the store.  Thus began the food stamp program, and now the debit cards that are provided only (ha ha) for food.  Thus the program went from a way to get rid of surplus food to getting rid of money.

The whole farm program thing is fubar at this time, except for insurance, inmho.    

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)