AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

6 year old with listening/paying attention issues...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Mrs B
Posted 7/22/2012 22:09 (#2500689 - in reply to #2500006)
Subject: RE: Can hold her hand fine...

Highland Center, in Southeast Iowa

Pfarms - 7/22/2012 14:27 ...then she gets to stomp alongside me to wherever we are going. Sometimes I get to drag her along if she isn't stomping... So I tell her to stop it or we will (fill in the blank)...so she stops for awhile then back to the same running off. Then we go sit off to the side and have a chat while mom and sis go do something and now she's mad. Sometimes no chat is involved, just off to punishment-ville if she has already been told what not to do.

You asked for opinions, so here goes mine, and in this I am assuming that there isn't an underlying medical issue. That's the first thing you must find out.:  Try telling her on the way to an event or location exactly what you expect her behaviour to be, specifically. Be positive, don't tell her what she is not to do, tell her what you expect her to do. "When we get to the mall, you'll be sure to keep your hands away from the toys/clothes/etc unless Mom or I ask you to pick something up. We're all going to use our very best behaviour inside, and we'll walk around like grown-ups, and use our manners that we've learned at home". Stomping is an immediate deal-breaker, especially in one as old as six.  Telling her to stop or else....... is leaving her in charge.  Remove her from the situation quickly. If it's in public, you may have to pick her up and carry her to the vehicle, but away from whatever it is that is going on.  Make it clear that her behaviour will not be tolerated.  Put some teeth in your actions.  Current situation as you have described it is your daughter playing you like a fine-tuned fiddle.  She is in control, you aren't.  Kids are soooo darn smart.  They figure out very early what they can get by with with who, whether it's mom and dad, grandma and grandpa, teachers, who ever.  She would do much better much quicker if you and her mother were presenting a unfied front with her, but if that isn't going to happen, you have to learn to be consistent and immediately remove her from whatever situation is causing her to misbehave and stomp.   There have to be concrete consequences to her actions.    No, it's not easy or fun at first, but neither is what you've been going thru.  But first of all, confirm that there are no medical issues.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)