AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

6 year old with listening/paying attention issues...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

JRthefarmer
Posted 7/22/2012 18:37 (#2500295 - in reply to #2497030)
Subject: Re: 6 year old with listening/paying attention issues...

SESD
I didn't read all the responses, so I may duplicate a little.

First of all, I'm assuming no medical condition, which I don't think there is. There are way to many "medicines" being used as a cover up for bad parenting. Not saying some don't need it, but definately way to liberal on the prescriptions.

Your problem started with your baby, not your six year old. That being said, it can be corrected, just much harder as they get older. When you say something, say it once and then a consequence if they don't listen. This goes for a baby that is old enough to understand you or a 6yr old or whatever. I spank, yes I said it. Don't use your hand for spanking because it is more like beating them to get a sting than a small stick or spoon will do or you could injure them. The 1,2,3 method just trains them to disobey for 3 counts. Saying things countless times, which sounds like what you are doing, trains them to believe your word doesn't mean much. If you dicipline 9 times out of 10, a child will go through the nine punishments to get the one you don't because they never know when they will "win". Dicipline calmly. Do not get prone to anger. Diciplining out of anger is when you over do it. Let your child know why they are being diciplined and then calmly spank them and don't let them have a fit after either. Let them know you love them and show them affection after.

That's the short of it. Children should be a blessing, not a burden. Most are little burdens. You also need to let them be kids. Kids need to explore their limits and test their bodies and mind and love to learn new things. Remember, boredness is the devils playground, adults or children. Give them tasks or activities to do instead of fending for themselves. They can learn in the process and keep themselves busy.

Good luck, you can do it.

http://nogreaterjoy.org/ Here is a great website with great material. They use the Bible as their guidebook and are a great witness.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)