AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

ethanol - misleading information in October National Geographic
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Deadduck
Posted 9/28/2007 12:14 (#211199 - in reply to #211168)
Subject: RE: ethanol - misleading information in October National Geographic

Northeast Louisiana
Don't expect a publication like that to get the story straight about agriculture. National Geographic did an issue on Cotton back in the early 90's. It was the most biased, crap journalism I've ever read, and I immediately canceled my subscription. Most of the artcle was written about the positions of environmental groups, with some token farmers trying to defend themselves.
They did the same type of thing, saying that growing cotton was bad for the enviroment, as if the land wouldn't be used for anything if it weren't in cotton production. Of course, they also had to throw in the racial/slavery issue and make it look like modern farmers in the south were still slave-owners.
The writer also seemed to have a real problem that the farmer was riding in an "air-conditioned cotton picker." I wrote a letter asking the writer whether he traveled to the farm in an air-conditioned car, but it didn't get printed. I think a lot of these big city journalists still expect to see a farmer pushing a mule drawn plow, or picking cotton by hand.

When you see how wrong they get it on domestic issues, it really makes you wonder how accurate the rest of their pieces are.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)