AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

ethanol - misleading information in October National Geographic
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Mlebrun
Posted 9/30/2007 07:59 (#211994 - in reply to #211662)
Subject: RE: Thank you - Here are another customer's posters also banded fertilizer, George Rehm, etc

SW MN and Gold Canyon AZ
Jim,
I won't disagree with banding saving money in THAT year. However long term there is no way you can keep SHORTING the next years bean crop and long term you WILL pull your test values down. I have heard george talk for 25 years and probably have been to every CCA meeting he has presented.
Again you are thinking like a salesman, "you can save money on fertilizer by banding with strip till."
My question is with soybeans close to 10$ and corn 4$ do I want to skimp on fert??
I have experinece with banding P and K with my planter for probably 15 years. I gave it up, want to know why?? I did plots using various rates on low testing soils and high testing soils and seen very little response. I THOUGHT i was saving money on p and K but my test values kept dropping, could not hold my phos levels up there. I was doing ok on the corn side but I was shorting my beans needed nutrients becasue I was not using removal rates which were alot more than I could put on with starter fert thats for sure.
I was also having trouble with the fertilizer openers throwing mud and making it difficult to get a consistent seed depth.
I decided that it was not worth all the monkeying around so I went back to a broadcast system and using removalrates as my recs. I haven't looked back.
I would like to see some replicated data that side by side strip till vs conventional till and some long term soils tests on a banding situationsin strip till. Especially in the webster type soils we have here
MY clients ALWAYS want to see yield data.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)