AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Selling a protective cow
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

JRthefarmer
Posted 3/8/2012 13:07 (#2275523 - in reply to #2274840)
Subject: Re: Selling a protective cow

SESD
Why have a cow like that on the place. I have a few protective ones that I don't fully trust, but a phsyco has no place other that the meat locker. Most my cows I can do whatever with their calf. They will stand there and watch. I was worried about their gentleness a few years back, so I took the dog out to the pen. He's not a cattle dog. I had to run for my life and jump on a RR tie post in the middle of the pen to avoid the stampede and wasn't sure the dog was going to make it out alive. Wife would've not been happy. I was satisfied how they would handle a predator, although I had to try it a couple more times cause it was awful funny.

Now when I go over to dads, he thinks a good cow has a calf most years. I'm widdlin down the culls, fat bagger/tits, old, mean. Had one this year that would attack from 15yds while I was on the 4 wheeler. She was out in the field and she backed the whole way out just to keep the calf right at her nose. Lucky I didn't get hurt outa that deal. Ended up having to use the tractor and brother in the bucket to snatch the calf and get her outa there, but dad wasn't sure he would let me get rid of her yet.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)