AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Doing a good job of raising wheat question?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

KSMatt
Posted 11/30/2011 12:15 (#2076656 - in reply to #2076140)
Subject: Re: Doing a good job of raising wheat question?

East Central KS
Sounds like you have got a good strategy started. Your starter program looks great.

I've conducted several N management trials in wheat in eastern KS over the last couple years. In short, its hard to beat topdressing with urea at greenup from both and agronomic and economic standpoint. If you are going to go the liquid route, streamer bars pay but eliminate the possibility of applying with herbicide.
You said that you are thinking about splitting your applications and putting down 28% with your herbicide LATER. I always try to have my Finnesse application on at or before topdressing. I don't remember the label on Finnesse but I was thinking it needs to be on before jointing. If this is true, you would kind of loss the advantage of the split application.

Fungicide pays most of the time in eastern KS. I say most of the time mainly because we are getting more resistant variates every year and that has helped a lot. Some years you may get by without having to spray a variety like Everest. Folicur is cheap and works well. I would have it on hand and be ready to spray. We normally pull the trigger pretty quick when we start to see disease pressure (since it is research) and normally don't have to treat twice.

I have included a link to a summary to our results from last year. The wheat N management section starts on pg 27. We had a plot at the Ottawa station, which would be close to you, this past year and those results should be available after the first of the year. That same study is being continued at Ottawa again this year.

http://www.ksre.ksu.edu/library/crpsl2/srp1049.pdf

Matt
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)