AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Midwest Striptill Expo
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Alex Nykamp
Posted 8/2/2007 22:55 (#182115 - in reply to #181853)
Subject: Re: Midwest Striptill Expo

"Gotta say I was a little discouraged after leaving. I was hoping that there would be a machine that would really jump out me but nothing did.

Anyone else watch that custom rig with the 12row Orthman, dry cart, and double nh3 tanks fall flat on its face at the end of the morning session? That 8530 (or was it an 8520) couldn't even pull it on level ground. Some of those machines take so much horsepower to pull I wonder why they even bother with them."-bleedred

In response to this post I would first like to say that your post made a good point but I would like to explain some things that may have been overlooked. First of all, the applicator had just been outfitted with new knives and we put them down as far as we could (11 inches). I believe this is deeper than anybody else was running and also deeper than the applicator will ever run in the field. At this depth it is the equivalent of pulling a 12 shank ripper, which anybody would expect to use all of 330hp. Also, according to the presentation by Orthaman there was a hard pan at 9 inches, which the applicator was having to pull through. This applicator will normally be running at 8 inches and in a controlled traffic farming setting, where a hard pan does not exist at 8 inches, and we have done soil resistance mapping to confirm this. We expect if the applicator is running in its usual setting (8 inches deep, CTF) to be able to run at 6 mph, on relatively level ground.

Thanks for the comment,
Alex
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)