AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Midwest Striptill Expo
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

bleedred
Posted 8/1/2007 10:51 (#181283 - in reply to #181214)
Subject: Re: Midwest Striptill Expo - photo

East Central Ia
Jim - 8/1/2007 07:34

I don't see how anyone could say they were "discouraged because one machine didn't jump out at me.." I think what I hear you saying is that there is no "ONE answer" to strip till and that is 100% correct. But should not be discouraging - there is just no one answer to many things, especially in agriculture. Maybe the one answer is "it depends"???

I have to disagree with you Jim. There is no ONE single way to strip till everywhere, but there is going to be a system that best matches what a persons goals are for ONE particular area, or set of conditions.

I really like the dawn unit but it will never work for me simply b/c it can't handle NH3. Its just not feasible to use any other source of N from an economics standpoint. We talked to you a little about what you are testing for NH3 and I had several concerns about it. Placement that close to where the seed will be planted would really scare me in the spring. Overall durability of the dispersal tube, how high of a rate you can get down and still get it to seal...

Most of those other setups looked to be built a little light or took a TON of hp to pull (another couple reasons I like the dawn unit).

I guess my main goals are:
1) Having the ability to knife in all my fertilizer needs in one pass, N, P & K. (This is a must!)
2) Primarily doing it in the fall when conditions are best in my area
3) Have the ability to run in standing corn stalks to eliminate several tillage passes for corn on corn.
4) Not need a 500hp tractor to pull it. (16row 30'')

I currently no till everything except my corn on corn but I want a way to get the P&K into the soil where the plants need it. I am located on I-80 and really have beautiful planting conditions in my bean stubble. Can't imagine a tilled strip being any better, unless it is warmer which I am not sure how much help that will be since my planter leaves a nice black strip behind it that warms up fast.

My best bet might just be to add a liquid or dry P & K system to my NH3 toolbar and keep doing what I am doing. I guess I was hoping to come away from that expo with a better feeling of what I should do.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)