AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Midwest Striptill Expo
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jacob Bolson
Posted 8/1/2007 12:48 (#181324 - in reply to #180966)
Subject: RE: Midwest Striptill Expo

Iowa
Overall I thought the event was absolutely outstanding. This was the first strip tillage expo I had attended and the folks behind its organization deserve a big thank you. At the end of the day, I was left with three specific questions:

-Why are more manufacturers not offering "the complete solution?" When I say "the complete solution," I am talking about being able to call up company X and order the strip till bar, fertilizer hopper, and all related necessary equipment.

-During the speaker panel's presentations, I believe that Charles Hammer mentioned that they run their Soil Warrior in the Fall and the Spring, but many times go back over their Fall strips before planting. While on the way out to the field demonstrations I overheard another farmer running the Soil Warrior unit say that he was doing the exact same thing. Why is it necessary to go back over the strips in the spring? Is it just coincidence that both instances involved the Soil Warrior unit?

-During the description of the Dawn unit during the field demonstrations, Jim and Joe specifically mentioned their unit being geared towards spring strip-tillage. However, unless I missed it, they never expanded on that and said what is unique about their unit to make that statement. I never heard another vendor say that their unit was specifically geared towards Spring or Fall strip-tillage.

One topic which I believe would be beneficial to discuss more at future events is custom strip tillage.

bleedred - 7/31/2007 21:51
Anyone else watch that custom rig with the 12row Orthman, dry cart, and double nh3 tanks fall flat on its face at the end of the morning session? That 8530 (or was it an 8520) couldn't even pull it on level ground. Some of those machines take so much horsepower to pull I wonder why they even bother with them.

8530. It appeared as if the MFWD was not locked in as the Mitchell's were making some beautiful strips after the afternoon session had been completed.

farmerjon52 - 7/31/2007 22:00
I was out at the afternoon session but I really did not walk down to watch it. I did listen to the panel discussion over lunch and I wish that I would have asked some questions. He was talking about the weight issue on tires and I would have liked to asked why he has not went to tracks. I am not questioning his theory and his conditions may be different that what was there today.

Are you referring to the two slides in Clay Mitchell's presentation in which he talked about the weight of his strip till unit and the soil resistance data?

(Picture 283_resized.jpg)

(Picture 284_resized.jpg)

(Picture 285_resized.jpg)

(Picture 286_resized.jpg)

(Picture 287_resized.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Picture 283_resized.jpg (15KB - 568 downloads)
Attachments Picture 284_resized.jpg (26KB - 549 downloads)
Attachments Picture 285_resized.jpg (20KB - 512 downloads)
Attachments Picture 286_resized.jpg (17KB - 507 downloads)
Attachments Picture 287_resized.jpg (31KB - 516 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)