AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Midwest Striptill Expo
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Newguy
Posted 8/1/2007 19:56 (#181508 - in reply to #181319)
Subject: Re: Midwest Striptill Expo

Renville Minnesota

"For instance, so many farmers insist that strip till must be done in the fall, yet most of these same guys are more than happy to run other tools across the field pre plant in the spring. Especially in continuous corn applications. "

Hopefully this helps: 

It may be "doo-a-ble" up here to only spring till last falls bean stubble, unless its wet.  Then your sceerude, it just doesn't dry like you suthun folks are use to.

For corn stalks, ya "gotta" (ok ya don't, but it cures allot of headaches, and pays more bills) get something broke up in the fall (for corn) so it can air out in the spring, then prepare a seedbed for planting, unless strip tilling in the fall, this is where the F.C. comes in.  The redball unit we used for two years in the fall worked great, left a nice flat black strip by spring time.  Corn stalks were a little iffy, but we grew nice beans after it, some good corn on corn, but that third year corn on corn was 25 bu less, not sure why, but there was allot of trash.

NH3 is king here, last year it was 15 cents a unit cheaper than the others.

If we were to use your pluribus units again, there is no way I wouldn't do it in the fall, then again in spring if need be (corn trash).

I have a neighbor that no tills beans with advise from Ed, his beans look great.  Im not to excited to try it on our farms as a 60' planter makes a mess whenever it gets into soggy soil.  3 twelve row planters are not in the picture either.....FWIW

Thats my story and Im stickin to it.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)