AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

No till crop rotation... Too much?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

swne
Posted 11/12/2011 10:22 (#2046460 - in reply to #2046291)
Subject: Re: No till crop rotation... Too much?

Cambridge, southwestern Nebraska
Matt,

I wish we could find something to replace fallow but the water issue is still there. Until you see it, experinece it, it's hard to understand.
I tried oats for a few years. My rotation was wheat-corn-milo-oats. The oats were great from a timing standpoint as I could plant them early in the spring and harvest after wheat harvest. But, several years in a row my what following oats was 15 to 45 bu. less than summerfallow. The the corn following that wheat would be 10-20 bu. less than corn following wheat that had been summerfallowed. With the expense of drilling and harvesting the oats and the reduction in yields, I just wasn't seeing a benefit.
Tried sunflowers in the rotation...they really take the water and increase weed problems and leave very little cover.
I think if I were to do anything with cover crops it would be to drill oats then burn them off in early June to leave for cover. Not sure that will really pay either.
I'm open to suggestions but you have to consider the price of fuel and the cost of equipment rather you want to make the extra trips over the ground or not.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)