AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Gypsum
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

soil-life
Posted 10/12/2011 18:50 (#2001244 - in reply to #2001203)
Subject: Re: Gypsum

North Central Ohio, across the Corn belt !

John Smith - 10/12/2011 18:10 It is Darmstat soil with a high sodium subsoil. There is no drainage tile. It has eroded areas where there is no topsoil. The eroded areas are what I want to target. The PH averages I think it was about 6.1 I had planned on applying lime in 3 years after the next soil test. I have been told the Gypsum would release some of the sodium and make the clay more manageable. I have also been told it would release some of the potash. I hope that would not be too big of an issue. Should I do the whole field or just the eroded areas? I have been told without drainage tile there would be limited benefit. I have not found a local source yet in Illinois.

well John, you may be in a situation where you learn, as many forum member have. to farm on top.

do not worry about the K.  the Chemistry, in real life, on the farm chemistry works for Your advantage. More often than not.

all nutrients leach to a point. Calcium, Sulfates, on Your soil. Leaching will be an asset for you. Long term. 

especially with the free Salts you deal with. 

I would not wait for soil analysis in 3 years.  you may want to apply 2 to 4 ton of Calcium Lime and some form of sulfates to get started, especially if you can not find Gypsum at a good price. also, apply a good amount of Nitrogen, Manure is also good. figure 1.5 plus Units per bu. of Corn to be grown for a time. Until you get very familiar with these soils.

when we do pits 10 to 14 ft deep. I like to see Calcium deep into the subsoil. Farming Deep is what some call it. Ha

So learn to get a good return by Farming on top. But apply Calcium and other Nutrients to move your farming, Healthy root mass  Deeper over time.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)