AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Gypsum
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

soil-life
Posted 10/12/2011 13:12 (#2000915 - in reply to #2000700)
Subject: Re: Gypsum

North Central Ohio, across the Corn belt !
this is what I have always considered worthy of a Calcium and sulfate combination.

20 plus % base saturation Magnesium based on soil analysis. the higher % soil clay with good tile drainage will give you the best results. an application of 1 ton or more is what I now recommend. I applied a half ton for 20 some seasons and it took longer for the response we were looking for. now for the past 20 years I have adjusted the rates recommended for fast and efficient results.

So I now recommend 1 plus tons per acre rate and a ton or Two of Calcium lime if More Calcium is needed. Also

HIGH or soil PH has Nothing to do with a soils need for calcium and or a gypsum application.

for an example. you can have a clay soil with a soil PH of 8 containing 30 to 40 % Mg base saturation. High free salts in solution and or 40 to 50 % base saturation of Calcium. this soils needs Gypsum.

or say one has a soil with 65% calcium base saturation and 20 to 25 % high clay soil content with a soil PH of app. 7 to 8 depending on the free salts and free K.
this soil will respond to Gypsum.

or you may have a Wilson, Gerald soil with a soil PH of 7 to 8 and a calcium base saturation of 70 to 80% with Mg % base at 2 to 10% and k at 1 to 4%.
this soil needs NO Gypsum nor Lime of any form.

K-Mg may be the missing link here. to adjust the Cations. and 600 Lbs of 0-0-60 plus 600lbs of k-mg is a common application to correct the situation. as a large farmer in Michigan found out this season when he had a crop for the 1st. time on many acres that he has been told. for 30 some season, there is NOTHING we can recommend you , the farmer can do to get production. He is Now very Happy and bringing in record yields as we speak.

So, My experience over the past 40 years is that if you have a High PH, Magnesium clay based soil. You may need gypsum. LOTS of it, when you consider the total tonnage of soil in the Plow zone, root zone area your are working to correct, or create better soil Percolation over time.
I and Many farmers have witnessed immediate crop responses but to change the soil chemistry, or the numbers on a soil analysis can take Much time. and may NOT be necessary for a soil texture, or yield response to be noticed. By the individual Farmer.

If you have a High PH. Calcareous soils that are Morrow based like much of Michigan is. NO Gypsum is needed.

Just like with Lime, If you are NOT applying at least 1. ton per acre or more. YOU will not see the results expected. for a good time. if ever.

YOU GET what you pay for. if you want to grow 200 Bu. corn. adding 40 units of applied N usually does NOT get you the 200 Bu. you need.
unless large quantities of Manure is applied also. most of the time. there is always the exception.

If anyone has any questions concerning Lime, Dolomite, or High Calcium. or Gypsum applications please give me a call. there is way to much Mis information circulating, or being suggested by people with NO experience or long term experiences of applying and long term applications and follow up observations. with adequate rates applied to the correct soil chemistry.

my cell is ( 419-210-6825 )
and NO, I do not sell Calcium products. But do have some form of applied Calcium and Sulfates each and every season.
If Calcium lime is available reasonable, then add some AMS and you have the same chemistry as Gypsum.
or 2 ton of Piqua lime and using 3 to 400 lbs of AMS as a Nitrogen source = Gypsum chemistry. and cheap for YOU. the Farmer.
Do NOT BUY PELITIZED Gypsum or LIME unless there are NO alternatives. available. a waist of YOUR $$$$ s

IF you have beet Lime, water treatment lime or High Calcium quarry's of good Ag Lime. You do not need Gypsum. If you can use AMS. Sulfate.

Gypsum is Calcium and Sulfate, NO more. than that , and NOT a magic bullet for ANY soil.

Soils with a High Free Salt content, or High Mg. or High K. levels can confuse even the best of the best soil Agronomist s, consultants because of relying on a PH only reading for suggesting recommendations. and frustrate the Farmer when NO effective results are seen, nor measured after time. on the Individual Farm.

ONLY certain and Specific soils will respond. to Calcium , Mg. and or Sulfate applications. individually or collectively. In any One combination.

John
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)