AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

ICF home construction?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

ry0972
Posted 9/18/2011 11:41 (#1967471 - in reply to #1967117)
Subject: Re: ICF home construction?

central sask
I used Nudura for my basement this summer.
Really liked the taller blocks and the fold flat for transport/storage on site before they got set-up.
If you can buy your own rebar direct from a major supplier as you will need lots and make sure the contractor puts in ALL or More than CODE requires.
Also Nudura has the wire mesh strips that go in every third tier, If you have a longer/taller wall with no juts/corners etc to give it strenght and hold it true have them put the mesh in every other row.
If possible talk to the Nudura rep and have him stop by often during the build and even the pour.
My basement and frost walls under my garage cost me nearly double what footings and a wood basement would have But it is Way overbuilt to what would have been possible with a wood system.

BE ONSITE EVERY MINUTE!!!! Have your wife/kid or buddy help you remeasure everything BEFORE the concrete goes in and just after before it sets up.
MAKE sure they have 2 guys with vibrators and use them as required .
As was said walls should be filled about 3 feet at a time and vibrated as they go to avoid hollows/hangup of the rock or voids.
To much vibrating is bad as well so just make sure it gets done but don't make them over do it??
They have one of my walls almost 2" short on 100ft of length and my "front" basement wall that is the walkout is "tipped/leaning in about an inch at the top!!! This will be a bit hard to hide without spending some $$$ putting a deck out off the living room over part of the walkout. OR shaving a BUNCH of the foam sheets to taper them down to match the basement ICF.
DO NOT pay them the final 25% or ?? until you measure everything!!!
My basement walls have the 3 insh riser to give me a full 9 feet 1inch from concrete floor to drywall on ceiling.
My floor truss/joists are made to set in 2" all around so I could run the 1/2" plywood wall sheeting down over the ends of the trusses for strength and put 1 1/2" foil-faced (R-10)foam over the entire exterior of the wood main floor for a full thermal break and have it level with the ICF foam basement.
I went with 2x4 walls and will fill with 2# closed cell spray foam. The foam on exterior will give me a full thermal break on the entire house and my walls will be the same thickness as 2x6 construction with double the R-value as 2x6 with fibreglass batt insulation. The spray foam should give me greater structural and racking strength than a batt filled 2x8 wall.
Nudura claims R-30 for the 6" concrete ICF I used.
My main floor should be aprox R-32 and ceiling will be 1" spray foam and rest blown cellulose for R-60.

Edited by ry0972 10/11/2011 16:30
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)