AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

ICF home construction?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Jason Hinson
Posted 9/17/2011 07:20 (#1965946 - in reply to #1965621)
Subject: Re: ICF home construction?

Kingston, Iowa
While smaller aggregate flows better, with a flatwall ICF we got along fine with a normal 3/4 stone and a 4000lb mix. Problem areas would be around the window and door lintels if they are short and need more stirrups and rebar. We used small pencil vibrators in these places to get consolidation and avoid honeycomb.

I've lived in mine for 8 years now and haven't had a reason to wish it wasn't built this way. I would definately build with ICF's again, but would probably go with a full 2 story or a single story if looking for maximum energy efficiency. I feel my limiting factor on the story and a half is insulating the ceiling. The main part of the dwelling isn't bad as I used a 14 inch TGI for the rafters so I was able to put a fair amount of insulation in. The bonus room over the garage suffers a little though, as even though I added another 2x6 to the attic trusses I was only able to get 9 inches of insulation in. I was building mine just as the sprayfoam technology was coming into our area. Had I used it I may feel differently about the story and a half.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)