AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

any corn on corn guys out there? poll
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Newguy
Posted 6/29/2011 19:01 (#1841195 - in reply to #1839780)
Subject: RE: any corn on corn guys out there? poll

Renville Minnesota

We have used a wishik since 1996.    Ridge till, strip till, zone build, DMI ripper, chisle plow, and a little no-till has been used here in the last 16 years.

Corn on corn.... out my back door does the best with black dirt in the spring.   We have 400 acres that has been corn since 2006.    Fall of 2009 we rented a used up plow and plowed it for the first time in 30 years.  Right after plowing we have a wannabe chisle plow.  Its at 22" spacing with a basic mole knife we use on all our bean ground in fall with NH3 attatched, 45 feet, works great for what we use it for.    125 pounds N (NH3) in the fall.   30 pounds N via 28% in spring before the field cult, maybe another 25 pounds with the p and k plus 10-34-0.    10 pounds sulfur mixed with the 28%.     Feild cultivate twice in spring. This corn was as good as the 300 acres of last years bean ground across the road on both sides of the Corn on Corn feild.

Long story short, it took more time and money to get the same yeild as last years bean ground,  but paid way more than growing beans,,,,, here in my back yard.

The act of plowing is easy, but its a pain in my butt for everything after the plowing.   More rocks, even the sprayer had to slow down 4 mph.

Weve wishik disced once, ran the chisle after a little deeper with NH3, feild cultivated once in spring and has close to as good of corn.    I am a beleiver in a little 28% in the spring to get things going, and also adding sulfur in the spring...... here in my back yard.   We going with a bit less N next year and more S.

Last fall we wishik disced twice (waited a few days in between trips), then put NH3 on after......   She was as black as a plow, but way smoother.     It took as much time with a 30' wishik as one trip of plowing with a ten bottom, but much smoother.     One pass feild cultivator in spring then plant.  It was nice compared to the plowing the year before.

Our corn on corn feild "looks" as good as any corn out there this year too......

Jury is still out.  This fall, and the next, and the next, will tell the tale,  I hate 50k plus tillage tools sitting in the shed.    I wish there was one tool for every application, but I cannot find one.   And man we have tried.   Wears a guy down experimenting. 

For us, strip tilling, ridge tilling, zone building, etc..... the second year of corn on corn was not bad, but that third year was a disaster..... Here in my back door.

I won't hate on the plow, if we were doing thousands of acres of it, we would probly have one.   Beans do well, but do not make as much money, but they do well in other area's of the total picture...... But its dang hard to justify planting them with what is available in the corn revenue department.....   I think this post has me thinking we shouldn't grow em   ;^)

If I could ask for anything, I'd take tile every 40 feet....... Seems to make most tillage, or lack of tillage work better.

Best wishes to ya, good subject, it sounds we have allot in common.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)