AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

any corn on corn guys out there? poll
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

iseedit
Posted 6/29/2011 08:22 (#1840588 - in reply to #1839780)
Subject: RE: Different times . ..

central - east central Minnesota -

minnesota farmer - 6/28/2011 19:47 We been doing some testing with differnt types of fall tillage when doing corn on corn over the last four years. Were buying the plow.... 1. we done DWI 2. we done baling and DMI after 3. we done plowing 4. we done bale then plow The best year over year been the number 3. just curious of what other are doing and what others think. fyi, I use manure on all corn on corn. disk in. and i dont have sandy soils.... organic levels 4.3 to 6.4%

I think that's why you are seeing "different" disk - ripper machines offered/created today, based off the basic DMI type.
Sunflower, Kruse, JD and I think Landall offer the DMI ripper type with additional disking to chew up that residue and incorperate it better (as a moldboard plow). . ..  .
I'd like to see comparisons with these newer rippers to a plow and the DMI types . . ... .
A heavy disk with a ripper/chisel after ward could give similar results as a plow and leaves the land less prown to erosion (I know location and soils make a difference).
Don't get me wroing - there's nothing wrong with using a plow either  . . . . .
I no-tilled less soybeans for one guy in the lighter sandy loam this spring and acturally helped him spring plow - cause it was a cool late spring, and plant beans into the spring plowing. This year, due to the coolness and lateness, I'm thinking the plowed ground will out yeild the no-till. (it's just now, this week, warming up and giving us some GDD's).

Edited by iseedit 6/29/2011 08:24
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)