AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anybody build a new school lately?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Jay NE Ohio
Posted 4/10/2011 20:37 (#1718131 - in reply to #1717756)
Subject: Re: Anybody build a new school lately?

northeastern Ohio
They have built several new schools in my area over the last couple of years. They put pitched roofs and radiant floor heating in the new schools. News flash: the roofs leak and the tubing in the floors leak at the new schools. They have cracks in the walls just like the old school. So what did they accomplish? Why not do the updates needed to the old school? It's called being fiscally responsible and environmentally friendly.

Now our school district is trying to do the same thing. They want us to pass a levy to generate 9.75 million dollars to build a 38 million dollar school. They say that it would cost 3.3 million over the next ten years to fix the problems (most of the cost would be to replace the flat roof with a pitched roof). I was pretty good with math in school and it looks to me like fixing the problems would save the district taxpayers 6.45 million dollars compared to building a new school. But they have a whole list of other non-essential goodies that they would LIKE to buy with the levy ($90k to put locks on all the classroom doors?? A bigger cafeteria??? a new gym for the elementary kids?????) How are these things going to improve our kids education?

There are fewer kids attending our school now than when I attended 20 years ago. The average classroom has 22 students per teacher compared to 30 when I was in school. I have two boys attending the school and I think the teachers are doing a fine job.... but their education continues at home.... and we don't need a fancy gym or locks on the doors to get a good education.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)