AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The smell of fresh turned dirt!!!!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

bmcpherson
Posted 2/23/2011 08:44 (#1630677 - in reply to #1630530)
Subject: Re: The smell of fresh turned dirt!!!!

Pretty much what Bret said. We love pivots on larger tracts and sandier soils but on small tracts like this one with good clay content and sandy loam mix we like to furrow irrigate the field. 100% water coverage and just does better and bad dry years. It is a little more work but worth it on smaller tracts that dont require too many yards per acre to get the field the way it needs to be.

I already had the well on this farm but if I were to put pivot on it. It is single phase so I would have needed a phase converter, burried pipe, burried wire, and a 40 acre pivot. Looking at about $1150 per acre with new pivot. On a farm like this it would take on average 250 yards per acre of dirt to get it water properly so you are looking at $375.00 in dirt work. you can get it done cheaper then that, but that is the average rate of 1.50 per yard. Some guys are running by the hr and can get the cost down to about 80 cents a yard, and a few guys around are running for 1.25 per yard. Most have a minimum of 250 bucks per acre no matter the yardage of dirt to be moved. So we own our own pans and laser as most do around here. So that cuts the cost down quite a bit, by at least a 1/3 if not half.

Brad
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)