AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A additional tile main was plowed in today............
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

farmboy99
Posted 5/11/2010 07:27 (#1193876 - in reply to #1193540)
Subject: Re: A additional tile main was plowed in today............

SE South Dakota
We have one qtr that in the 1970's three nieghbors got together and put in a system, the "main" thru our qtr was 5". All was well until the most upstream farm in the system allowed the next upstream farm to put over a mile of tile onto the top of this. Then right away we we overloaded. It did take a few years to really fiquire out what was happening.

So about 8 years ago another 8" main was installed alongside the 5" and again now all is well. We have now been able to put in the complete amount of tile on our qtr that it needs and it is working fine. But upstream the nieghbors are now likely to put in a bunch more and I believe that now the 8" will be overloaded. There is room for another main but at who's cost. This will take some consideration on everybodys part.

These tile systems need to be well thought out as to the possible amounts of acres drained all the way to the top of the watershed and the main needs to be sized to handle this. It is much easier to do from scratch rather than pieceing a new system into an old.

I really not ever heard of 12" plasic tile being installed around here before last year. Now I know of about 7000' installed within 3 miles of my home in the last year.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)