AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

When is it too dry to plant
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

COdrylander
Posted 4/13/2010 18:45 (#1161252 - in reply to #1160534)
Subject: Re: When is it too dry to plant

NE CO
I think your soils may be more clay than we have (mostly silt loam-clay here), but we usually have to plant into soils with the top inch dry. Plant at 2 inches deep and make sure the trench is closed completely and soil firmed in the seed zone and it should work fine. Make sure you have enough down pressure to keep the openers in the ground ( check that the gauge wheels are in contact with the ground and won't turn while the planter is in the ground and parked). You probably don't need the row cleaners engaged either. Leave the stubble/mulch in place over the rows. The openers should easily cut through the dry residue and you shouldn't have any hairpinning problems unless the trash is really thick. If the residue is too thick for the openers to work correctly, just move enough with the row cleaners to get a good job of planting. I took my row cleaners off 4 years ago, though with our thick stripper headed wheat stubble this year, I am considering putting them back on. The mulch over the rows will keep the seed trench from drying till the corn sprouts. Good luck.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)