AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Gerald J you are addressing my greatest fear.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Gerald J.
Posted 4/13/2010 00:01 (#1160557 - in reply to #1160350)
Subject: Re: Rain in north Texas and crop needs.

I recall the two years I lived in Allen, that the total annual normal rainfall was about 24 or 25 inches, and each of those two years we got half of it in one event. One year it was one night, the other year it was one week.

A relatively safe way to figure P and K requirements is to figure how much the crop will remove if its as big a crop as you anticipate and apply that. Tests sometimes are better hints unless pH or high Ca or some other anomaly ties up the nutrient. But you can't really get to peak production without soil tests and tissue tests because while soil tests will show whats IN the soil only tissue tests will show what the plant can get from that soil and sometimes (like testing for Molybdenum) any soil test extractant is humongously more effective than a plant is. Often a plant gets held back by being short one micronutrient and when you correct that, further tests show its held back by another that the first one hid. Sometimes we never do find all the needs but give up and grow something else that will suffer through our particular messed up nutrition.

But in Hay's place, it takes a lot more P and K to show up in the plants than the theoretical amount the crop would remove.

Gerald J.

Edited by Gerald J. 4/13/2010 00:06
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)