AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Gerald J you are addressing my greatest fear.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 4/12/2010 19:40 (#1160105 - in reply to #1160036)
Subject: You hit the Qualities of this clay soil. Right on.

Little River, TX
The interesting thing is there are for sure two different soils in our Blackland. The one here has limestone just inches to feet down. Some soils are also 20 or more feet deep with no recognizable differences between the surface and the deeper layers.

HERE our high CEC, 40 to more than 50 CEC values. latches ahold of the ammonia, which is after all just another cation at this point. and puts it in storage.
Maybe 40 miles north of here on the Reisel Prairie the soil is almost nuetral and has a fairly low CEC, in the 20 CEC range. It is no wonder that the poor Aggie Prof's are confused?
HERE soy beans just turn yellow. Near Reisel they do about as well as you would expect with our erratic rainfall.

I do not believe it is unique to Texas, but we have Extension Advisors who's only knowledge about this black dirt is what they read. That is they get led astray. Alfalfa has been grown on this farm for close to 40 years, maybe more. Yet I had an Extension Advisor inform me that Alfalfa simply will not grow in the Blacklands. Some get bone headed stubborn about what they know.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)