AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tell me why we need to till
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 4/11/2010 10:44 (#1158214 - in reply to #1158033)
Subject: Back when I was a whole lot smarter,---------->

Little River, TX

There is a true gentleman in Northern Lusitania who was quoted in a popular agriculture publication on his fertility program for bermudagrass hay. He was applying more than double the amount of sulfur that his hay was removing. Plus he operation is down wind from Sulfur City. LA. Being so smart I asked why so much sulfur. His learned reply was, "After years of experience that amount is what's required." At that point my education began.

A quote in this thread.
Simple, because "here" it isn't a thing of the concept working or not working etc etc etc.

There is an economic advantage to do "some" tillage over direct seeding/planting. That's it
. (emphases added)

That is a very astute observation.

As for anhydrous,
I usually apply 400 to 500 lbs/A of the product into my bermudagrass sod. One time during a fit, I applied 1,500 lbs/A over a small corner. I can assure you it has not had any adverse effect on the worm population.
Nor has it adversely effected the Imported Red Fire Ant population.

We, and I included me in this we, need to try to specify the soil, climate and location when talking about the "What Works HERE" and inferring that this is truly a universal phenomenon. This is a common failing of our Academic Friends. They run nicely replicated plots in their climate and soil, using designed for research management style, and publish a Universal Truth. Problem is a local truth is not necessarily UNIVERSAL.
I will use, Alfalfa autoxicity, Fertilize according to Soil Test, Base Saturation Ratios, and a host of others.

Not saying anyone is full of Bovine Scat only that pronouncements have parochial application and for us to utilize the information we need to know the particulars.

I will refrain from listing the problems encountered trying no till in a calcareous, high CEC clay soil with Vertisol scholastics, in the Central Texas Blacklands, in our classic perpetual drought broken by periodic floods.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)